Last Modified: 6/2/2023
Lykos Therapeutics (“Lykos,” “we,” “us,” or “ours”) is an organization focused on developing and commercializing prescription psychedelics to bring better treatments to those living with mental health conditions. Lykos (formerly MAPS PBC) was founded in 2014 by the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization (“MAPS.”)
This privacy notice (“Privacy Notice”) aims to explain our general approach and practices to meet the requirements of privacy laws and data protection legislation worldwide and aligns with our data privacy standards. However, we will always abide by local law. In other words, if a country has regulatory requirements that oblige Lykos not to process certain personal information or require Lykos to process personal information differently, we will do so.
This Privacy Notice describes how we collect, use, and share information that can reasonably be used to identify a natural person directly or indirectly (“personal information”). It applies to the personal information we collect when you visit https://lykospbc.com/ (our “Website”,) personal information collected concerning your participation in educational programs we provide directly or through educational institutions we collaborate with, and to personal information otherwise provided to us through any means. However, this Privacy Notice does not apply to:
- Information related to clinical studies: If you have participated in a clinical trial sponsored by Lykos or other organizations in our group or a clinical trial that we otherwise support, please refer to the informed consent form you signed for details about how the personal information collected in connection with the trial will be used.
- Human resources data and business-to-business communications: This Privacy Notice does not describe how we handle personal information collected in the context of employment and personal information collected in our communications with natural persons that act as personnel of organizations with which we transact business.
- Information collected by third parties: This privacy notice does not apply to information collected by third parties (including our parent company and affiliates.) For information about how third parties handle your personal information, please refer to the privacy notices and policies of those third parties.
Please note that:
- Our services are not intended for use by children, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from individuals considered children under applicable national laws.
- Our Website may link to a limited number of other websites or applications. Lykos is not responsible for the practices of these third-party websites and applications.
We encourage you to read this Privacy Notice before using our Website or submitting personal information. If you choose to provide us with your personal information, you are telling us you understand and accept the practices detailed in this Privacy Notice.
This notice may change occasionally (see Changes to Our Privacy Notice section below).
If you have any questions, please contact us using the details below (see Contact Information section below).
Personal information we collect
We collect personal information when you provide it to us, when you interact with our Website and other online tools, in connection with education programs organized by our collaborators or us, and in some instances through third parties.
Information you provide to us
The personal information we collect may include:
- personal information you provide by filling in forms on our Website (e.g., when you report a problem with our Website.)
- Records and copies of your correspondence with us (including email addresses) if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Information you provide in connection with your application to or participation in educational programs (see the section on educational programs below for more details.)
- Information you provide to us when you interact with us via social media.
- Your search queries on the Website.
Information we collect automatically when you interact with our website or other online tools
As you navigate through our Website and online tools, certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns will be collected by us using automatic data collection technologies. This includes:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data to and from our Website, referral URL, your access times and the resources you access and use on the Website, location data (based on your IP address), logs, and other communication data.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
This information enables us to estimate our audience size and usage patterns and helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service.
Information related to education programs
Lykos is not planning to offer therapy education programs prior to potential FDA approval of MDMA-assisted therapy.
If you applied to participate in one of our education programs, we may have collected the following from you:
- Identification information such as first and last name.
- Contact information such as email and phone number.
- Primary language, additional languages, and country of residence.
- Location information such as address and/or zip code.
- Professional information including professional license numbers and jurisdictions, healthcare organizations where you practice, years in practice, and professional website URLs.
- Program preferences (e.g., cohort preference and mode of participation preference – online, in-person, or hybrid-).
In addition, for candidates to our educational programs willing to share it with us, we collect demographic data, including gender identity, racial or ethnic identity, age, and sexual orientation (i.e., whether you identify as a member of the LGBTQIA community).
When you participate in our educational programs, we gather additional information. Information is gathered before your participation (such as financial information to complete your payment for the program) and during your participation (such as information related to your performance during the program -e.g., answers to quizzes and exams, information shared by you with our instructors during the program-, and video recordings of the classes).
Finally, if you participate in one of our educational events, we may enable groups through social media channels (e.g., WhatsApp) to provide information and facilitate your participation in those in-person events.
Information obtained from third parties
We may obtain your personal information via third parties. For example:
- Our email platform provider may share with us information on (i) whether our emails were opened and (ii) what content was clicked. This allows us to determine which stories are popular and better tailor our future communications. The data we receive is statistical, aggregated, and not used to identify you.
- We sometimes collaborate with partner organizations to offer our educational programs. In those cases, partner organizations may share with us certain information they collect from participants, including identification information (e.g., first name and last name), contact information (e.g., email and phone number), location information (e.g., zip code for primary location), professional information (e.g., professional license numbers and jurisdictions, primary healthcare organization participants practice at, and years in practice), and other demographic data (e.g., gender identity and ethnic identity).
How we use personal information
Use of personal information by Lykos
We use personal information that we collect about you or that you provide to us:
- To present our website and its contents to you.
- To communicate with you, for example, by providing information about our education programs, sharing relevant information related to clinical trials, and informing you about other products or services you request.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered between you and Lykos, including billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide.
- In any other way, we described when you provided the personal information.
- For any other purposes with your consent.
Additional information on education programs
We will use the personal information provided to us in connection with our educational programs and/or the personal information our educational collaborators share with us as necessary for the program’s functioning and as required for the functioning of related departments within Lykos. For example, if you applied to participate in one of our education programs, we will use the information in your application to assess your qualifications, make admissions decisions, communicate with you about your application, and provide you related education information. In addition, aggregated metrics about who participates in our educational programs may be used by us internally (e.g., to ensure we comply with our diversity and inclusion goals), be included in our communication materials (in anonymized form), and/or shared with organizations that sponsor the program.
In addition, the contact information of applicants and participants in educational programs will be used to communicate with them about future education opportunities and to share other important clinical information, such as communications specific to advancements in investigational MDMA-assisted therapy. We may also contact educational program applicants and participants for market research purposes.
Disclosure of personal information
We may disclose personal information that we collect or that you provide as described in this Privacy Notice:
- To our parent companies, subsidiaries, and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of insolvency, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Lykos about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To third parties to market their products or services to you if you have consented to/not opted out of these disclosures. We contractually require third parties to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it or for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the personal information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including responding to any government or regulatory request.
We may disclose aggregated information about our users and information that does not identify any individual without restriction.
Lykos does not share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes without obtaining your consent.
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your personal information:
- Promotional offers and educational information: If you do not wish to receive emails promoting products or services or emails with important clinical information (such as communications specific to advancements in investigational MDMA-assisted therapy), you can opt-out by using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails.
- Market research: If you do not wish to be contacted by us for market research purposes, you can opt-out by using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of our emails.
- Access, correction, and deletion of personal information: You may email us at the email provided in the Contact Information Section below to request access to, correct, or delete any of your personal information. We may not accommodate a request if we are not legally required to do so if we cannot verify your identity, or if we believe in good faith that a request to change personal information would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the personal information to be incorrect.
We use appropriate technical and organizational measures and precautions to protect your personal information and prevent its loss, misuse, or alteration. While we work to keep personal information safe, we cannot guarantee its security.
Changes to our privacy notice
We update this Privacy Notice from time to time. Our notices are effective when posted. As required under applicable law, we will seek affirmative consent before making material changes to how we handle personal information previously collected from you. If you do not provide such consent, personal information will continue to be used in a manner consistent with the version of this Privacy Notice under which it was collected.
To ask questions or comment about this Privacy Notice and our privacy practices, contact us at [email protected].
If you would like data related to your application to or participation in our education programs removed from our records, please submit a request to [email protected].